proposes that effective group performance depends on the proper match between the leaders style and the degree to which the situation gives the leader control.
- LPC least preferred co-worker questionnaire to identify that style by measuring whether a person is task or relationship oriented.
- -after assessing an indiviuals basic leadership style through the LPC question we match the leader with situation
- 1. Leader-member relations- is the degree of confidene, trust, and respect members have in their leader.
- 2. Task Structure- is the degree to which the job assignments are procedurized (structured, unstructured)
- 3.Position Power- the degree of influence a leader has over power variables such as hiring, firing, discipline, promotions, salary increases
-matching leaders and situations.
-evaluation.But the logic underlying the LPC questionanaire is not well understood, and respondents scores are not stable. the contigency
FIDELEr assumes an individuals leaership style is fixed. This means if a situation requires a task oriented leaders and the person in the leadership position is relationship oriented, either the situation has to be modified or the leader has to be replaced to achieve optimal effectiveness.