The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does the alimentary canal consist of?
Mouth, pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine
What are the accessory digestive organs?
teeth, tongue, gallbladder, salivary glands, liver, and pancreas
What is part of the digestive process?
- -Ingestion: taking food into the (mouth) digestive tract
- -Propulsion: swallowing and peristalsis
What is peristalsis?
waves of contraction and relaction of the muscles in the organ walls
What is mechanical digestion?
chewing, mixing, and churning food
What activities occur in the gastrointestinal tract?
- -Chemical digestion: catabolic break down of food
- -Absorption: movement of nutrients from the GI tract to teh blood or lymph
- - Defication: elimination of indigestible solid waste
What are the nervous controls of the GI tract?
- Intrinsic Controls: nerve plexuses near the GI tract initiate short reflexes
- Extrensic Controls: Long reflexes arising within or outside the GI tract
What is the peritoneum and what are its parts?
- serous membrane of the abdominal cavity
- -viseral: covers external surface of most digestive organs
- -parietal: lines the body wall
What is the peritoneal cavity?
- Libricates digestive organs
- allows them to slide across one another
What is the mesentery and what does it provide?
- double layer of peritoneum. provide:
- -vascular and nerve supplies to teh visera
- -hold digestive organs in place and store fat
what are the retroperitoneal organs?
organs that are outside the peritoneum
What are peritoneal organs?
aka intraperitoneal organs, organs surrounded by peritoneum
The blood supply in the splanchinic circulation include:
- arteries andn the organs they serve include:
- -the hepatic, splenic, and left gastric: spleen, liver, and stomach
- -inferior and superior mesenteric: small and large intestines
What happens in the hepatic portal circulation? (liver)
- collects nutrient- rich venous blood from the digestive viscera
- delivers this blood to the liver for metabolic processing and storage