The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The use of drugs to treat a disease
Chemotheraputic drugs include
synthetic drugs and antibiotics.
Interfere with the growth of microbes within a host
A substance produced by a microbe that, in small amounts, inhibits another microbe
___ are created in a laboratory.
___ is a drug that kills harmful microbes without damaging the host
The actions of antimicrobial drugs are either ___ or ___
bactericidal or bacteriostatic
Cephalosporins is extracted from fungi which are
- I generation: Narrow spectrum, gram-positive
- II generation: Extended spectrum includes gram-negative
- III generation: Includes pseudomonads; injected
- IV generation: Oral
The Action of Antimicrobial Drugs
- 1. Inhibition of cell wall synthesis.
- 2. Inhibition of protein synthesis.
- 3. Injury to plasma membranes.
- 4. Inhibition of nucleic acid synthesis.
- 5. Inhibition of Essential metabolites.
Drugs which helps in Inhibition of cell wall synthesis.
Drugs which helps in Inhibition of protein synthesis
Drugs which cause injury to plasma membrane
1. Polymyxin B
Drugs which Inhibits systhesis of Essential metabolites
Drugs which inhibits nucleic acid synthesis
b-Lactamse is also known as
Mechanisms of antibiotic resistance
- 1.Enzymatic destruction of drug
- 2.Prevention of penetration of drug
- 3.Alteration of drug's target site
- 4.Rapid ejection of the drug
Streptogramins is used to treat
Synergism occurs when the effect of two drugs together is
greater than the effect of either alone
Antagonism occurs when the effect of two drugs together is
less than the effect of either alone
Antibiotic Resistance: Human Practices
- Overuse in immuno-suppressed patients
- Patient demand for antibiotics for colds/ Flu
- Misuse by physicians
- Failure to follow prescribed treatments
- Long-term low-dose treatment for acne
- Use in animal feeds
- Moving of resistant bacteria
- Hospital personnel
___ Promotes interferon production
Clear area on Disk Diffusion Method (The Kirby-Bauer Test)
Zone of Inhibition