Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the purpose of triage?
- provide organization for pts seeking healthcare
- clients with highest acuity needs receive treatment first
What is emergent?
- life threatening situation-
- respiratory distress, CP with diaphoresis, acive hemorrhage, unstable VS
What is urgent?
- needs treatment soon, but is not life-threatening-
- severe abd pain, renal colic, displaced or multiple fx, complex or multiple soft tissue injuries, new onset respiratory infection
What is nonurgent?
- can wait several hours without serious deterioration-
- skin rash, strains/sprains, colds, simple fx
What is meant by mass casulalty?
- military form of triage
- focus is to achieve the greatest number of lives saved with the resources available
- ranked by emergent, urgent, nonurgent, expectant, and by class I-IV
Emergent, Class I
- red tag
- life threatening injury - needs immediate intervention
Urgent, Class II
- yellow tag
- major injuries - immediate attention
Nonurgent, Class III
- green tag
- minor injuries - doesn't require immediate intervention
Expectant, Class IV
- black tag
- expected to die and will be allowed to die
- check airway/breathing
- check bleeding/circulation
- check mental status
- open airway - only 2 attempts
- stop excessive bleeding
- treat shock