The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the bone functions?
- support and protection
- body movement
- blood cell formation
- storage of inorganic salts
Support and Protection
1) Bones give shape to the __, __, and __.
2) Bones such as the __ and __ provide __ for the body.
3) Bones of the __ protect the __, __, and __.
- 1) head, thorax, limbs
- 2) pelvis, lower limbs, support
- 3) skull, brain, ears, eyes
1) Bones can act as __.
a) A __ has four components, __, _, __, __.
- 1) levers
- a) lever/ rigid bar, pivot or fulcrum, an object that is moved against resistance, and a force that supplies energy
Blood Cell Formation
1) Two kinds of __ occupy the __ of the bone.
a) What does red marrow do?
b) What does yellow marrow do?
- 1) marrows, medullary cavities
- a) formation of RBCs, WBCs, and platelets, and is found int he spongy bone of the skull, ribs, sternum, clavicles, vertebrae, and pelvis
- b) occupies the cavities of most bones and stores fat
Storage of Inorganic Salts
1) The __ of bone stores __ in the form of __.
2) __ in bone is a reservoir for __; when blood levels are low, __ release __ from bone.
3) __ is stored in bone under the influence of __ when blood levels of calcium are __.
4) Bone also stres __, __, __, and __.
5) Bones can also accumulate harmful elements, such as __, __, and __.
- 1) inorganic matrix, inorganic mineral salts, calcium phosphate
- 2) calcium, body calcium, osteoclasts, calcium
- 3) calcium, calcitonin, high
- 4) magnesium, sodium, potassium, and carbonate ions
- 5) lead, radium, strontium
1) The axial skeleton consists of the __, __, __ (__), and __ (__).
2) The appendicular skeleton consists of the __ (__), __ (__), __ (__), and __ (__).
- 1) skull, hyoid bone, vertebral column (vertebrae and intervertebral disks) and thorax (ribs and sternum)
- 2) pectoral girdle (scapulae and clavicles), upper limbs (humerus, radius, ulna, carpals, metacarpals, and phalanges), pelvic girdle (coxal bones articulating with the sacrum), and lower limbs (femur, tibia, fibula, patella, tarsals, metatarsals, phalanges)