Comparative Test 4 (R2)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe and compare the reptilian lungs to the amphibian respiratory system.
It is more complex, larger, and more compartmentalized.
Describe the modifications of reptilian lungs.
- Neck has become longer, laryngotracheal chamber is divided into larynx and trachea.
- Trachea branches into wide central bronchus leading into each lung.
- Secondary bronchi branch off of each central bronchus into alveolar sacs.
What is ventilation?
Muscular movement of ribs.
Describe the process of ventilation.
Outware movement of ribs enlarges the pleuroperitoneal cavity, preassure falls below atmospheric pressure so air rushes into expanding lungs. Air gets pushed out by elastic recoil of lungs and the opposite rib movements.
Crocodilians have a _____ which is _____ and functions to _____.
- Muscle running from the liver to the pelvic girdle which pulls the liver caudad.
- It assists in respiration.
Descibe the lung modifications of birds.
Small efficient organs that dont add to body weight or expand much in volume. These conect to a complex system of airsacs which provide a means of unidirectional air flow so relatively fresh air is always passing over the lungs.
What is the respiratory tree in mammals?
the branching and rebranching of air passages leading to bronchioles which end in alveolar sacs.
What are alveoli in mammals?
very thin walled squamous epithelium, nearly completely covered by vascular capillary bed: site of gaseous exchange.
Mammalian ventilation is by _____, primarily due to movement of the _____.
- Muscular diaphragm
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview