Biology Chapter 7, Section 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
History of the Cell Theory
What did Robert Hooke do?
- -he made a microscope & looked at a piece of cork.
- -he observed box like structures he called cells.
A cell is the basic unit of structure & function in living things.
The Cell Theory
What is the Cell Theory?
The work of Hooke & other scientists led to the cell theory, which consists of the following 3 principles:
- 1. All living things are made up of one or more cells.
- 2. Cells are the basic unit of structure & orhanization of all living things.
- 3. Cells arise from other pre-existing cells.
What are 2 categories scientists have grouped cells into?
- Prokaryotic Cells
- -cells without a nucleus
- -without membrance-bound organelles.
- Eukaryotic Cells
- -cells with a nucleus.
- -contains membrane-bound organelles.
- -unicellular or multicellular.
What are organelles?
Organelles are specialized structures that preform specific functions for the cell.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview