The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are some exacerbating factors in MS?
- Uthoff's symptom
- Viral and bacterial infections
- Major life stress
- Hyperventilation, malnutrition, exhaustion, dehydration, sleep deprivation
What are 5 somatosensory impairments in patients with MS?
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Lhermitte's sign
Interventions for sensory impairments
- Substitute with other sensory systems
- Augment with weights, resistance, approximation
- Skin care and precautions to prevent breakdown
- Manage pain
- Approximately 80% of patients
- May lead to balance deficits
Interventions for visual impairments:
- Patching for diplopia can be a temporary solution.
- Compensatory measures for safety
- Weakness - indicates corticospinal tracts or motor cortex damage
- Weakness - vary from mild paresis to total paralysis
- Poor motor unit recruitment
- Prolonged inactivity - result in weakness
Interventions for motor impairments
- Compensatory strategies
- Assistive device
- Functional training - ambulation, transfers
- Cardiorespiratory muscle strengthening
What is common with cerebellar or vestibular involvement in patients with visual impairment?