Food Science Quiz
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the basic goals of meal planning?
- 1. Good Nutrition
- 2. Control Cost
- 3. Pleases the family (consider and dislikes)
- 4. Fit the meal preparation into the time and energy available
What are some ways to control food cost?
- 1. Keep track of what you spend
- 2. Know what things cost
- 3. Make a list
- 4. Stock up during sales
- 5. Buy in bulk when you can split extras or share with someone
- 6. Check with different food sources
- 7. Consider store brand vs. national brand
- 8. Use coupons when appropriate
- 9. Choose convenience foods carefully
- 10. Check product dates
- 11. DONT shop when you are hungry
Explain the following product dates:
1. Expiration Date
2. "Best if Used By Date"
3. Pack Date
4. Pull Date
5. Code Date
- 1.Deadline for recommended eating (yeast)
- 2.Date for optimum quality, QA, or freshness
- 3.Date food was packages
- 4.Last day sold as fresh (dairy or deli items)
- 5.Code Date-read only by manufacturer
What are the trends in prepared supermarket food?
- 1. 67% buy precut, cleaned and ready to cook vegetables
- 2. 44% buy frozen side dishes
- 3. 50% buy pre-cut cleaned and bagged salads
- 4. Almost 40% buy main dishes (meat, poultry, pre-cut and marinated meat)
What are the top ten items shopper consider most expendable to save money?
- Fast foods
- Pizza Delivery
- Grocery Stored prepared foods
- Ice Cream
What is the importance of eating breakfast?
- Healthy body weight
- Lower intakes of fate and cholesterol
- Higher intake of fiber
- Better overall nutrient intake
- Cant make up the nutrients lost throughout the day by not eating bfast
What are some strategies for Advanced Meal Planning?
- Monday to Friday Cooking
- Once a Month Cooking/Frozen Assets
- Double Main Dish
- Emergency Meal Plan
- Master Mixes
- Dove Tailing
What are some menu planning considerations?
- Temperature (contrasting)
- Flavor (should all work together)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview