The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- Clofibrate (Tricor)
- Fenofibrate (Lofibra)
- 1. Treat severe hypertriglyceridemia and chylomicronemia syndrome.
- 2. Decrease triglyceride levels by 50%
- Increase HDL by 15%
- LDLs may stay the same
- 1. Exact MoA unclear. Bind to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) that regulate gene transcription.
- 2. PO
- 1. Rapid w/ meals, slow w/o meals
- 2. Peak [plasma] 1-4 hrs
- 3. 1/2 life of gemfibrozil is 1.1 hours and fenofibrate is 20 hrs.
- 4. Urine as glucuronide conjugates (contraindicated in pts w/ renal failure)
1. Common SEs
2. Unique SEs
- 1. GI, less frequent rash, urticaria, hair loss, myalgias, fatigue, headache, impotence, anemia (can potentiate anticoags. s.a. Warfarin).
- 2. Myopathy syndrome if gemfibrozil taken w/ statins
- Fixed dose
- Care if given with anticoags.
- Care for myopathy if given w/ statins.