- Undue influence over thought processes by coercive persuasion of behavior modification techniques without informed consent.
- Constant and intensive indoctrination and exercises.
- Group pressure to conform.
- Using techniques which induce high level of susceptibility.
- Use of fear and guilt to create emotional vulnerability.
- Sensory overload forces acceptance of new doctrine, goals, and definitions to replace old values by expecting newcomers to assimilate masses of information quickly with little opportunity for critical evaluation.
- Approving unethical or illegal behavior while claiming goodness of the group.