The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Sleep disorder drugs
- Modafinil (Provigil)
- Armodafinil (Nuvigil)
- Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
- Unclear, not directly related to DA, NE, 5HT, or GABA
- May ↑ glutamatergic excitation in hippocampus & thalamus via orexins
- H3 blockade (to stay awake)
- The active R-isomer of Modafinil - has a longer t1/2 & duration of action at a little over half the dose.
- Potentiates release of DA & NE in frontal lobes
- CNS & peripheral stimulant.
- Causes release of 5HT, NE, DA from nerve terminals.
- GI upset
- Same as Modafinil
- Acute psychosis (hallucinations/delusions) & mania
- Toxicity can be fatal w/seizures
- Generally similar to those of cocaine but lasting 4-8x longer (10-12 hrs vs. 10-20 min)
- Agitation & hyperactivity
- Skin flushing
- Chest pain/cardiac deaths
- Dry mouth
- Anorexia & weight loss