Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Second Gen. Antihistamine Drugs
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Azelastine (Astelin)
- Second line therapy for allergic rhinitis
- Mild or intermittent symptoms
- Not as effective as INGC
Selective peripheral histamine H1-receptor competitive antagonist.
- Overall, significantly less sedating, less anticholinergic effects.
- Loratidine- dry mouth, headaches, use with caution in liver/renal impairment
- Cetirizine- more sedating than other second generation antihistamines, use with caution in liver/renal impairment
- Azelastine- bitter taste
- Loratadine- mild, may increase effect of diazepam, Dilantin,and propanolol
- Cetirizine- minimal, may increase effect of anticholinergics
- Azelastine- minimal, may increase effect of anticholinergics, may increase arrhythmogenic effect of phenothiazines, but not like first generation antihistamines.
Only hypersensitivity to the medication
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview