Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- •Calcium carbonate or silica skeleton consisting of spicules
- •Planktonic larvae, sessile adults
- •No body symmetry
- •Cells arranged in a gelatinous matrixwith pores through which water moves
- •Filter feeders
- •Most are marine
Never Freakin Mind, Peter Can Get it
Form and Function
- •Many small openings for water to enter
- •Larger opening(s)
- at top for water to exit
- •No mouth or anus
- •Choanocytes line the canals
- – Flagella move water through canals
- – Capture and phagocytize food particles
- •Specialized cells perform different functions:
- Amoeboid cells- move around and break down food
- Collar cells- pump water throughout
- Epithelial and pore cells- provide opening for pores, line outside, maintain shape
- –Sperm/eggs released
- –Pulled into another sponge
- –Fertilized eggs are retained until hatching
- •Asexual (BFG- Big Friendly Giant)
- –Budding- new forming on side
- –Fragmentation- break off and new one forms
- –Gemmules- chunk with necessary cells are release in times of stress- like cyst
- •Free-swimming larva- swin/reproduce
Importance of Sponges
- •Medicines- produced chemicals so predators wont want to eat them.
- •Habitat (reef-forming)- for others because they never leave
- •Filtration of seawater
- –Can eat bacteria/microbes that are too small for other animals
- •Food source for marine animals
- •Dolphin nose protector?
- Does My Hand Feel Funny?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview