The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
rate of growth during 2nd year
- -accelerated myelination in cerebral cortex
- -myelinations of connection within cerebral cortex
- -maturation of brain areas roughly equal except for PFC
- -rate of growth is slower than during the first year
- height 29-38 inches weight 20-33 lbs
major brain area undergoing synaptogenesis during age 2. What new behaviors emerge?
- the frontal lobe
- -perceptual, locomotor, manual dexterity, control of elimination
- -new modes of though-symbolic thought, problem solving, pretend play, pictures and models
- prefrontal cortex
- -social behaviors: less distress at separation, sense of self, accept adult standards, secondary emotions
- -behavioral coordinated walking, manual dexterity, coordidnation of fine skills. control bladder and bowl, complex and planned problem solving, symbolic representation.
piaget's sensorimotor substages 5
- substage 5-tertiary curcular reactions ( 12-18 months)
- -ability to vary actions of substage 4 (engage in behavior towards acheiving a goal) systematical and flexibly
- -experiments in order to see: children are trying to find out about nature of objects and events. still using trial and error.
- -infants still can't reason systematically about actions and anticipate the consequences
- -passed a not be test but failed if distracted, will still look in the original place
piaget's sensorimotor substage 6
- representation (18-24 months)
- babies base actions on internal mental symbols of experience
- solve problem systematically vs. trial and error
- engage in symbolic play and fantasy play
- enables deferred imitation
- pass A-not-B test
- able to antipate trajectory of moving object that has disappeared behind a barrier