day 2 psych
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Humanistic theory: Self Concept
the believe we have of ourselves about our own nature, qualities, and behavior
life is balanced with your ideal self and reality self
life is not balanced with ideal self and reality self
Unconditional positive regard (UPR)
- positive behavior toward a person with no contingencies attached.
- - unconditional love
Social Cognitive theory: Self-efficacy
how one believes they can master a skill or achieve a goal.
-Bandura's belief that cognitions, behaviors, and the environment interact to produce personality
External locus of control
means one lets external factors take control over them
-they feel as if they are the victims
Internal locus of control
means one can control their emotions internally without letting external factors take control of them.
-they arent victims
study of psychological disorder
pathology and or sickness in how we think, feel, or behave.
book developed by APA used to describe abnormal behaviors.
4 things DSM-IV-TR does...
- -categorizes all mental disorders
- -codes for all mental disorders
a complicated legal term
-at the time of the crime, they did not know difference from right or wrong.
- -feels no remorse
- -sociopaths and psychopaths
- - rapists, serial killers, ponzi-schemers
- - exploit weaknesses and do not feel remorse
- - only 18 and up can be diagnose
- -17 and younger needs help
- -leads to anti-social
4 criteria to determine abnormal criteria
1. Statistical infrequency
2. Disability or dysfunction
3. Personal distress
4.Violation of norms
(criteria for abnormal behavior) Statistical Infrequencies
- - is the problem frequent or infrequent
- is it common in the population or rare...
(criteria for abnormal behavior) Disability or dysfunction
- are they able to life a regular normal life, without the behavior preventing them?
(criteria for abnormal behavior) Personal Distress
- does it affect greatly a person's functionabilty
- issue with this is that some disorders do not make them uncomfortable so it can only be used as a flag
(criteria for abnormal behavior) Violation of norms
-does it violate culture rules in a particular situation?
-this isnt reliable either, there are a distinct number of cultures that operate differently than ours
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview