HIV-1(everywhere else) and HIV-2 (west africa and india)
p24 is antigen detected on ELISA
HIV infects CD4+ lymphocytes, monocytes and macrophages in blood, lymphoid tissue, and CNS.
gp120 binds CD4 but also requires coreceptors CCR5 or CXCR4 for infection. gp41 involved in membrane penetration.
- Opportunistic infections:
- crypto, pcp. toxo. candida, cocci, histo, atypical MAC, nocardia, salmonella, cmv, hsv,vav, PML
- Kaposi sarcoma, associated with HHV-8 coinfection. ?neoplastic versus proliferative process, more widespread than sporatic forms
- B cell lymphoma - EBV association
- CNS lymphoma - 1000x more common in AIDS patients
- Cervical carcinoma