• Typhoid fever, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi.
• Enteroviruses, Norwalk-like viruses and hepatitis A virus.
• Amebiasis caused by Entamoeba hystolytica.
– Produces cysts, anaerobic
– Many infections are asymptomatic but may lead to dysentery. If not treated, trophozoites can invade liver, lungs and brain.
– Annually 100,000 individuals die worldwide.
– Treatment with dihydroemitine and diloxanide furoate.
- Diagnosis: cysts in the stool and
- antibodies by ELISA
• Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba
– Enters through nose and goes directly to the brain
– Meningloencephalitis leads to death within a week.
– All cases (12 from 1999 to 2003) have been lethal.
– Prevetion: avoid of swimming in warm shallow waters in summer.