Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
antwone fisher: Love interest in the movie
combined 3 women
Where does the title "Passing Strange" come from?
- -From Shakespeare's Othello
- -Means more strange than normal
Where did antwone fisher work?
-security guard for Sony
Why did antwone fisher turn down Sony?
Because he wanted to write the screenplay
what did antwone fisher suffer from?
- -Maybe league with devil
- -one of the first rock stars
- -wrote a set of 24 caprice:short, momentary; solo violon
- -gettin bitches, took it to the piano
- -Image: long skinny arms w/devils tail
- -Wrote "la Campanella" as a lower of pagnini
Where does Stu come from?
Passing strange can be viewed as?
-autobiographical of Stu
- -mediator in the story
- -minister's son
- -gets them into drugs
what does stu say about punk music?
they can't play, but can play 3 chords
the baptist fashion show
-stu having a conversion experience
started sundance film institute
Where does Stu travel?
- 1.Berlin, Gemrany
- 2. Amsterdam, Holland
Whats happens in Berlin,Germany?
- -Political freedom
- -they say he's not gangster enough
What happens in Amsterdam, Holland?
- -Sexual freedom
- -"Just had sex": operatic cortet
How does the narrator talk in Passing strange?
-talks in rhymes, easy to remember, audience is involved
Stu's music education?
Where is Heidy from?
what did Heidy decscribe herself as in high school?
The Negro Problem dealt with
- - slaves
- - freedom; vote
- - migration
what's the easiest instrument to play in a punk band?
Stu's position: smartness
- -age gives us eperience
- -have you learned from those experiences
where is antwone fisher from?
who was antwone fisher's real role model?
teacher in elementary, Denzel Washington was onnly minor
How long did it take antwone fisher to write his story?
what company took antwone fisher's story?
20 century fox
what did cowbell's remind antwone fisher of?
His friend's death
- -violinist virtuoso
- -fast fingers
- -Taught at UCLA
- -Glisando: sliding
- -Harmonics: playing notes higher than
- - great violinist
alternation between two adjacent notes
a German composer and pianist
- Russian composer, pianist, and conductor
- -Piano and orchestra
- -18th variation: inverted
- -Woodstock 1970
- -Performed "Star Spangled Banner", distorted
- -Commenting about Vietnam War and African Americans
- -100 amplifiers/speaker:Marshall stack
what is the Pipa made of?
how many strings does the pipa have?
what is the order that she plays the Pipa?
How many fretz does the pipa have?
fast repetition on one note
when wu man auditioned at the conservatory
- -Performed the "Dance of Yi People", which was not allowed beacuse of revolution
- -played on radion, and pipa became popular
Culturally, the pipa would be considered
The pipa is played on what scale?
- -Performed "La Campanella"
- -piece written in 1850s
- -too many notes/sec
- -fast, faster, fastest
- Dance the last movement
- -Dance to death
- -from sicily, Italy
- 1. Bitten by tarantula
- 2. Hysteria; Women who get hysterical
- -mimics professor (wig)
- -has truth in it
- -ironic because it was dead on point
History of Hip Hop
- -own version of history of hip-hop
- -prove urself to make our dance team
Poetry From the soul
Just because I am
- -american idol auditions
- -Baby by Justin bieber
- - NBA lockout
- - using extreme:NBA dude begging
- - full of truth
- - country music
- -Rebbeca Sklude
Look at me what
- - white girl rapping fast
- - had alot of time during finals week
- -four girls who made fun of flyer passes on bruin walk
Hell of an African college student
- - born in nigeria
- - challenges of a ucla student being from Nigeria
- - girl wants to be an art major but father is not pleased
- - she came back to her roots
Cross Campus love
- great ending
- -guy carries girl
Wizard of Ucla
- -good ending
- -worked hardest than any other group
- -girl can really sing
- - guy problems
- - girl read a poem;
- imma person not a terrorist
- -least exaggeration
Work in progress
- - pictures on screen that matched the words
- -coordinated in real time
- -used art from class: scrabang