The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
*Describe characteristics of Retinoids.
- -Fish products
- -3 forms: retinal, retinol, retinoic acid
- -Growth & Dev.
- -*DERMATOLOGY (psoriosis/acne)
- -cell signaling
- -immune function
- ***LEADING CAUSE
- OF ACCIDENTAL BLINDNESS IN THE WORLD
- -1/2 million children in the world in poor countries
- -Night blindness
- -Xerophthalmia: permanent blindness
- -Follicular hyperkeratosis (skin disease): due to loss epithelial cells
- -Hypervitaminosis A
- ***Teratogenicity (causing birth defects)
- -By use of topical skin treatments during pregnancy
- Food sources:
- *Beta-carotene is the MOST COMMON
Vitamin D (NOT ALWAYS RQ'D IN DIET)
***Vitamin D increases when calcium decreases
***Very big research focus right now – much disagreement
***Travels toliver & kidney where it is further metabolized to form active form – CALCITRIOL
- Dietary Sources
- -Fatty fish
- -Children: RICKETS
- -Adults: OSTEOMALACIA (softbones)
- -Not from dietary sources or sunlight
- -OCCURS w/ supplementation
- -Can cause over absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- -Can be fatal
- Functions: ANTI-OXIDANT
- -Helps prevent peroxidation of unsaturated fatty acids.
- -Often called “REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES (ROS; free radicals)
-Se & Vit. E prevents Reactive Oxidation.
- Anemia: deficient in red blood cells.
- 1) Hemolytic - anemia – rare in humans
- 2) Preterm infants’HIGHEST RISK groups due to limited storage at birth.
- (Blood clotting)
- -Interfere w/ Vitamin K & causes hemorrhaging (insufficient blood clotting)
Foods: Nuts, Plant sources
- -fish oils
- -ONLY vitamin that can be synthesized by GUT BACTERIA
- Phylloquinones (MAIN):
- -Green leafy vegetables
- -MOST biologically ACTIVE form.
- ***BLOOD CLOTTING
- -Bone health
- RARE, long term anti-biotic use
- ***Most children given Vitamin K injections.
Does LEPTIN relates to all reproductive organs and cycles?