APUSH Chapter 23
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who were the Democrats?
- white southerners
- Recent immigrants
- urban working poors
- (common man)
Who were the republicans?
- Northern whites (pro-businesses)
- African Americans
- Northern Protestants
- Olds WASPs
- middle to Upper Class
What did the laissez faire government do?
- did very little
- delivered mail
- mantain a national military
- collect taxes and tariffs
- conduct foreign policy
- administer Civil war veteran pensions
What was the presidency in the gilded age?
- more smbolic
- party bosses had more power
Jay Gould and James Fisk wanted to do what?
Corner the gold market
What scandals accosted the Grant administration?
- the whiskey ring
- Credit Mobilier scandal
- "indian ring"
Where was the tweed ring's hub?
in Tammany Hall
Who brought down Boss Tweed?
Who wins the election of 1872?
What happened in the Panic of 1873?
debate over gold and silver
What did the Specie Redemption Act of 1875 do?
got rid of silver
When was the greenback party formed?
What was the last attempt at Reconstruction?
The Civil Rights act of 1875?
Who ran in the election of 1876?
- Rutherford B. Hayes and Governor Samuel J. Tilden
- Tilden wins popular votes
What was set up to figure out the political crisis?
What was the Compromise of 1877?
- Left Hayes as President
- federal troops withdraw from Louisiana and South Carolina
- RR goes to Dems
What were the Jim Crow Laws? And what Supreme Courts uphold its constitutiality?
- divided the blacks and whites
- Plessy v. Ferguson
When did the Chinese Exclusion Act go into affect?
Who ran in the 1860 Presidential elections?
- James A. Garfield - Chester A. Arthur
- Winfied Scott Hancock
When was Garfield shot?
1881 by Charles Guiteau
What did the Pendleton Acts do?
- made exams necessary for some civil service jobs
Who were the mugwumps?
- socail darwinists
- belief in a specific laissez faire type of government
Who ran in the 1884 election?
Gover Cleveland and James Blaine
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview