The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Executive Order 9066
- February 19, 1942
- presidential executive order signed and issued during World War II by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelton
Eventually, EO 9066 cleared the way for the relocation of Japanese Americans to internment camps.
George F Kennan
- diplomat in dealing with the USSR
- political scientist and historian, best known as "the father of containment" and as a key figure in the emergence of the Cold War.
He later wrote standard histories of the relations between Russia and the Western powers.In the late 1940s, his writings inspired the Truman Doctrine and the U.S. foreign policy of "containing" the Soviet Union, thrusting him into a lifelong role as a leading authority on the Cold War.
- thought the USSR would collapse
Military Industrial Complex
is a concept commonly used to refer to policy and monetary relationships between legislators, national armed forces, and the industrial sector that supports them.
- He was a leader in the American Civil Rights Movement and chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), playing a key role in the struggle to end segregation.
- lead freedom rides and sit ins
Civil Rights Act
enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed major forms of discrimination against African Americans and women, including racial segregation. It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements andracial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public
Tonkin Gulf Resolution
- August 10, 1964
- response to the north vietnam and US gunboat battle
- johnson asked for authority to "take all necessary measures" to defend us armed forces and prevent furthur aggression
- June 28, 1969,
- when police raired the Stonewall Inn, a gay barNew York City.
- First time gays faught back against sexual discrimination
- start of gay movement
land from california to florida
south increased econmically as people went there to retire
- "young urban professional"
- people became self centered in the 80s compared to the giving and progressive attitude of people in the 60s
- a phrase used to describe various related foreign policy principles of former United States president George W. Bush.
- United States had the right to preform a preemtive strike gainst countries that harbor or give aid to terrorist groups,
- Used to justify the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan
attacked Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden