The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Cuban religious tradition that originated among people of West Africa and has spread around the world.
- Means "way of the saints"
- Way of venerating Yoruba spirits similar to Catholic saints.
Tribes of African slaves living in Cuba
The name that they came to be called, after an old name for Oyo.
Slavery in Cuba
- Genocide of the Indigenous
- Slave population in Cuba
- 1886 abolishment of slavery
- Religious brotherhoods
- Tribal nation
- Feast days and processions: Los Reyes Magos
- Catholic images
- Orula: the patron of divination
- individual spirits: Orichas
- Priest of Orula
- means "the fathers of the mystery"
- trained to divine the devotees by means of an ancient oracle named Ifa
La Regla de Ocha
- Mix of Yoruba religion, Catholicism, and Espiritismo (Spiritism)
- Supernatural beings or spirits
- Objects of worship with shrines and priesthood
- Child of an orisha
- Orishas in cabildos
- Yoruba king who was deified
- Storms and lightning
- St. Barbara (associated with storms)
- Goddes of love, fertility, and marriage
- Associated with rivers
- Our Lady of Charity
- Compassionated old man
- heal serious bodily infection
- St. Lazarus
- Spirit possession, drumming
- Animal sacrifice
- Home altars
- House religion
performed by a priest or Santero/a
- High priests
- Only men could become bablowo, but it is slowly changing
Hiding religious practices behind "masks"