How do we measure public support?
- Public Approval: Do you approve or disapprove of
- the job (the incumbent president) is doing?
Impact is an important source of influence in Congress, but occurs at the margins of
- A popular president is more likely to be successful in Congress than an unpopular one, but party control is MOST important
- Especially damaging to be unpopular
White House dedicates countless resources to its cultivation
- Product of:
- predispositions, i.e. party identification
- honeymoon period
- rally events
- national addresses