Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the Sonny Bono Law?
- Added 20 years to all copyrights
- Life of author plus 70 years
What does the FTC regulate?
What are some things that cannot be copyrighted?
- Stock Literary Devices
What is a Turnaround Clause?
any time you can't get a deal together so you start over and can go to other studios
What is Pay or Play?
For actors, they must be paid even if the film is shut down
What licenses are needed for having recorded music in a movie?
- Master License
- Syncronization License
What MUST be stapled to a contract with a loan out company?
an Inducement agreement
What MUST be stapled to an option agreement?
a Purchase agreement
What is a right of last refusal?
An offer to match what another party would pay for a sequel
What are the 3 Music Licensing Organizations?
- ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers)
- BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.)
- SESAC (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers)
What are PEG channels on a cable system?
Public Education and Government channels
What do E&O insurers check for?
- Right of Publicity
What is WTO?
- World Trade Organization
- regulates GATT
What is GATT?
- General Agreement on Tariff and Trade
- Regulates international trade
What is ITU?
International Telecommunications Union
What is WIPO?
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- Must provide same protection to foreigners as to own nationals
What is DG 10?
- Directorate General 10
- Regulates Broadcast for the EU
What is BATAN?
Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreemenet
What is Puffery in Advertising?
Normal exaggeration that does not create a false impression
What is Syndex?
When a station has something exclusively in 1 market and the cable company must block out any channel airring that show
What is Housekeeping?
Has an office on the lot but is not on salary
What is the Copyright Royalty Tribunal?
Collects Money from cable and distributes to copyright holders
Who wants Applicable?
Producers - takes money out of the original deal
Who wants Non-Appicable?
Writers- does not take money out of the original deal
What are Mechanicals?
License to make copies (MUST HAVE!)
Where do you get Mechanicals?
Harry Fox Agency
Who owns anything created by a work for hire? and for how long?
- The company
- 95 years from publication
- 120 years from creation
Can you copyright a theme?
Can Superman be copyrighted?
What are some criteria for Fair Use under copyright?
- Not for Profit
- Nature of Work
- Amount used
- Effect on market for original
What did the Communications Act of 1996 do?
- Ok to refuse leased access for obscenity
- Scramble of block adult programming except in Safe Harbor Hours
When are Safe Harbor Hours?
What are the rights of the owner?
- Derivative Works
- Sell Copies
What happens if Infringe?
Can you copyright conversations?
No, unless recorded or written down
How to protect a trademark/servicemark?
- Notify broadcasters/publishers of intent to protect
- "The Nasty Letter"
- Mark Notification
What is the Council of Europe?
What is EU-TV?
Require broadcasters to promote local culture
What is IntelSat?
International consortia to build an international satellite network
What is the Space Charter?
- Free and open to all
- Use only for peacful purposes
- Launching states retain liability for damage caused by launches
What is the Central Hudson Test?
- Legal Product/Not Misleading
- Substantial Government Interest
- Be Effective
- Not broader than necessary
What is Deceptive?
- False Representation
- Of a Material Fact
- Tendency to Mislead consumers
- Based on Entire Ad
- Does NOT have to actually mislead anyone
What is an exclusive deal?
Can't work for other studios while being payed by certain studio
What is a first look deal?
Certain studio gets first chance with your idea but if they pass you can go to others
Do you want Gross or Net?
What are the 3 C's
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview