The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How does marital conflict affect children?
- Associated with poor outcomes in children:
- -particularly externalizing behaviors (aggression)
- -especially if: frequent, unresolved, involoves physical conflict
- emotion regulation
- family-wide security
What are the mechanisms/pathways by which inter-parental conflict affects children (i.e. conflict affects this, which then affects the children)
What is the 'emotional security hypothesis', and how does it relate to marital conflict?
What is coparenting?
- Occurs when individuals have overlapping or shared responsibility for rearing particular children
- Consists of support and coordination (or lack of it) in the parent role
How is coparenting different from marital functioning?
- Does not deal with: romantic, sexual, companiante, emotional, financial, or legal aspects
- Can occur outside the marital relationship
- Does not correspond perfectly with marital functioning
- Predicts certain outcomes beyond marital functioning
Who can be considered to be coparents?
- Not defined by biology, gender, marital, or legal status
- Invovled meeting childrens needs
- Divorced parents
- Adoptive parents
- Gay-lesbian parents
- signigicant other
- Extended family
- fictive kin
What are the different components of coparenting (according to Feinberg, 2003) and what do they mean?
- Agreement/disagreement on childrearing issues
- Division of child-related labor
- Support/Underminin for the coparental role
- Joint management of family interactions.
What are the different components of coparenting (according to Feinberg, 2003)
- Moral Values, behavioral expectations, discipline, emotional needs, educational standards and priorities, safety, and peer associations
- Disagreement have been linked with poor child outcomes - can resolve, but if not resolved, it could affect other coparenting dimensions
Divison of Labor
- Daily routines, household tasks, ongoing responsibilities for child related financial, legal, adn medical issues
- Household chores is the single biggest predictor of conflict in postpartum period.
- Mothers generally perform the majority of tasks and take the ultimate reponsibility
- Not about divison but rather satisfaction with division
- Flexibility VS. Structure/rigidity