Divide the equation into one oxidation half-reaction and one reduction half-reaction.
- Balance each half reaction:
- 1st: balance elements other then O or H
- 2nd: balance O by adding H20
- 3rd: balance H by adding H+
- 4th: balance charge by adding e-
Multiply half-reactions by integers as needed to make the number of electrons lost equal to number gained in each half-reaction.
Add half-reactions, and simplify by canceling species appearing on both sides of the combined equation.
Check to make sure atoms and charges are balanced.