The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Conditions causing respiratory issues
- Asthma- Wheezing on inspiration/expiration
- Anaphylaxis- Flushed skin or hives, generalized edema, decreased BP
- Congestive Heart Failure- Dependent edema, Rales, Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea
- Croup- Fever, Barking Cough, Mostly seen in Pediatric
- Pneumothorax- Sudden chest pain w/dyspnea, decreased lung sounds
- Whooping Cough- Coughing spells, Fever, Mostly in pediatric
COPD VS Congestive Heart Failure
- 1. COPD- A disease of the lung characterized by shortness of breath and wheezing. Home O2 steroids used for treatment. Breathing progressivly worse,
- Usually long-term smokers.
- Chronic Coughing
- No JVD.
- Patient usually thin w/barrel chest.
- 2. Congestive Heart Failure- A disease of the heart characterized by shortness of breath, edema, and weakness.
- Diuretics prescribed to keep fluids off
- Sudden onset of shortness of breath
- Patient may or may not smoke
- Shortness of breath all the time
- JVD and dependent edema
- May have distended abdomen
What does PASTE stand for
PASTE is specific for shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
- Progression-Has it started suddenly or no
- Associated chest pain- Dyspnea can be a significant symptom of cardiac
- Sputum- Has the patient been coughing up sputum. Mucuslike or other?
- Talking tiredness- Can indicate how distressed the patient is.
- Exercise tolerance- What could the patient do before this and could they still do it with their condition.
What is the difference between an Epidemic VS Pandemic?
Epidemic- occurs when new cases of a disease occur in a human population and subsantially exceed what is "expected"
Pandemic- is an outbreak that occurs on a global scale.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
This is deadly because unlike other gases Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless, and you can't see it.
It is the number one cause of accidental poinsoning deaths in the US.
- Will present with:
- Headache, dizziness, fatique, and nausea and vomiting.
- Dyspnea on exertion and chest pain and display nervous system symptoms like impaired judgement, confusion, or even Hallucinations.
- Severe esposures may result in syncope or seizures.