Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- normal range: 7.35-7.45
- <7.35 = blood becomes more A (more H+); Acidosis
- >7.45 = blood becomes more B (fewer H+); Alkalosis
- below 6.8 or above 7.8 = DEATH
- measures the acidity or alkalinity of a solution, based on the number of hydrogen ions.
Partial pressure of CO2 in the blood (PaCO2)
- normal range: 35-45
- <35 = blood becomes more B
- >45 = blood becomes more A
- represents the respiratory component of the acid-base balance.
- normal range: 22-26
- <22 = blood becomes more A
- >26 = blood becomes more B
- represents the metabolic component of the acid-base balance.
attempts by either the kidneys or the lungs to maintain acid-base balance. The kidneys respond to a respiratory disorder; the lungs respond to a metabolic disorder.
- pH is outside normal range
- occurs when when the lungs begin to compensate for a metabolic problem or the kidneys begin to compensate for a ventilation problem.
- pH is normal range
- occurs when the lungs or kidneys have done their job and moved the pH back within the normal range.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview