Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
coined the term neurology
coined term pschiatrerie as a new discipline directed toward the cure of mental illness
- treatment approach, that took the place of “moral treatment” as the field of
- science began to grow.
Silas Weir Mitchell
- the “rest-cure” in 1852
Mary Baker Eddy
- - founder
- of Eddyism a Christian science movement
- - 1891-
- the word psychotherapy is coined to describe a new and groundbreaking
- form of medical treatment. Came to
- describe dynamic psychiatry.
- conducted a study which found that there was nothing incompatible in the
- simultaneous use of both drug therapies and mental therapeutics, but they were
- mutually reinforcing.
- Father of OT” – a physician who treated
- nervous illness and one of the early leaders of OT, felt the rest-cure approach
- failed to recognize the fundamental role of the psyche and ones day to day
- behavior in the etiology of nervous illness
- o Constructed the “work-cure” as a partial protest against the almost universal
- application of rest in treatments
- a dignified occupation espousing an ethic of
- service organized into an association, and practicing functional science
Elanor Clarke Slagle
- -“Mother of OT” proposed a 12mo course of training in 1922 and sthese standards were adopted in 1923
- developed a sensory integrative approach
- Incorporated an evolutionary perspective in her attempt to explain how sensory experiences are understood,
- incorporated, and utilized by human beings to allow for adaptation in one’s behavior.
- felt that the OT profession had lost its moorings and drifted from its original course and plan
- Believed that the profession had lost its focus on occupation and challenged the profession to work more
- diligently toward understanding occupation from an interdisciplinary perspective
- Called for a return to founding
- belief “that man through the use of his hands as they are energized by mind and
- will, can influence the state of his own health”
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview