What is the difference between traditional
reading instruction and inquiry reading instruction?
- Traditional : mastery of content. Places teacher at the center, the
- teacher does everything. The goal
- is for the students to understand the information the teacher gives them.
- Inquiry approach – focuses on how one
- learns. Problem-based learning and
- constructivist learning.
- -students’ inquiry is guided by their own
- questions related to a work of literature – questions they honestly care about.
- -Emphasis is placed on the process of how
- one gets and makes sense of information about literature so that knowledge
- gained will have wide application.
- Teachers operate as facilitators rather than
- dispensers of knowledge. They ask
- leading questions rather than tell answers.