The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the steps of the cell cycle and what happens in each of them?
- Cell Growth
- 1. G1: "Growth #1" Cell grows rapidly, makes the basic organelles.
- 2. S Phase: "Syntheis Phase" Copies the DNA.
- 3. G2: "Growth #2" Cell grows and prepares to divide.
- Cell Division
- 4. Mitosis: Nucleus divides to form two new nuclei.
- 5. Cytokenisis: Cytoplasm divides.
What is the first step of Mitosis and what happens in it?
- Prophase: Nuclear membrane dissolves, and the Spindle Fibers form. The centrosomes move to opposite poles.
What is the second step of Mitosis and what happens in it?
- Metaphase: The condensed chromosomes line up along the equator and the spindle fibers link the chromatids of each chromosome to opposite poles.