The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the study of mental processes (cognitions & emotions) and behavior
Nature V. Nurture
- debate is ever present in psychological issues
- personality decisions emotions and behavior are impacted by both
- Genetic Makeup (NATURE) and Environment (NURTURE)
- Note: our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become
both a natural science and a social science
which is the application of principles to practical problems
work that builds upon our knowledge base about various phenomena
- examines primarily social interactions or phenomena that occur within a social context
- peer pressure, mob mentality, social interactions, social rules, prejudice, self perceptions etc.
- examines how people change over the lifespan
- in thought behavior motivation
- examines processes of learning and learning disabilities.
- Develops new ways of teaching.
- Theories of learning and teaching.
Industrial and Organizational Psychology
examines behaviors in the workplace or some other organized group
- specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of serious mental disorders
- most versatile
- expanse of training
- assessment, treatment, research, data analysis, etc.
Similar to clinical psychology but the focus on empirical skills is much less
- the intersection of psychology and neurology
- professional to go see after serious head injury or after a stroke
History of Psychology
- only been around for 100 yrs
- Philosophical roots
- physiological medicinal roots
- earliest root in psychology traced to 400 BC Hippocrates "father of medicine"
- behavior is caused by or stems from genes, the brain, and the nervous and endocrine systems
- experience and behavior result of chemical & electrical activities in and around the cells
Contemporary Paradigms in Psychology
- Biological Approach
- Psychodynamic Approach
- Behavioristic APproach
- Humanistic Approach
- Cognitive Approach
- Evolutionary Approach
- Cognitive Behaviorism
Behavior driven from powerful inner forces such as instinct, biological drives, and attempts to resolve conflicts between personal needs and social demands to act properly main purpose of of actions is to reduce tension
interested in overt behaviors that that can be objectively recorded
- People are innately good and are capable of choice, main task of human
- is to strive for growth and development of their potential
Focus is human thought and processes of knowing, attending, remembering, problem solving
- combines psychology with with Darwin's concept of natural selection
- mental and physical abilities have evolved over time
- predominate today
- successfully combines the strengths of both Cognitive paradigm and the Behavioral paradigm