The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
List the names of 1-12 straight chain alkanes
What is the structure of n-butane?
What is the structure of isobutane?
What is the structure of isopentane?
What is the structure of neopentane?
What is the structure of propyl group?
What is the structure of isopropyl group?
What is the structure of n-butyl group?
What is the structure of sec-butyl group?
What is the structure of isobutyl group?
What is the structure of tert-butyl group?
Give torsial strain values
- H/H eclipsed = 1 kcal/mol
- H/CH3 = 1.3 kcal/mol
- CH3/CH3 eclipsed = 3.0 kcal/mol
- CH3/CH3 gauche =0.9 kcal/mol
What are the different types of isomers?
- Structural isomers vs stereoisomers
- Stereoisomers: enantiomers vs diastereomers
- Diastereomers: cis-trans isomers (geometric) vs other diastereomers
How do you calculate specific rotation?
- C = concentration of sample (g/ml)
- l = length of cell (dm)
The specific rotation of (+/d
) is the |x| of (-/l
) and vice versa
How do you use specific rotation to measure purity of a sample?
- optical purity = o.p. = (observed rotation)/(rotation of pure enantiomer)*100%
- enantiomeric excess = e.e. = |d-l|/(d+l) = (excess of one enantiomer)/(entire mixture)*100%