Nutrition-Related Health Issues of the Adult Years.
(Aside from cancer, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc.)
Slowed Restoration of Homeostasis
- Alcohol Use
- Tolerance decreases with aging.
- Abuse can occur due to depression and isolation.
- Consequences of earlier alcohol abuse.
- Slowed restoration of homeostasis:
- “I can’t ______ like I used to”.
- Slowed response to return body to “normal” state.
Alzheimer's Disease - Progressive deterioration of brain function.
- Decrease risk - fruits, veggies, fish, unsat. fats, nuts
- Increases risk - saturated fats, RED MEAT
- Arthritis – Degeneration of cartilage that covers joints
- No dietary component has been conclusively shown to affect arthritis.
- Possible benefit of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight is important.