The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
____________ is a term used to describe a comprehensive, cohesive, and integrated set of tools and processes used to capture, collect, integrate, store, and analyze data with the purpose of generating and presenting imformation used to support business decision making.
What is a Data Warehouse?
An integrated, subject-oriented, time-variant, nonvolatile, collection of data (italixs added for emphasis) that provides support for decision making.
_____________ implies that all the business entities, data elements, data characteristics, and business metrics are described in the same way throught the enterprise.
_____________ implies that the design is focused specifically on the data rather than on the process that modify the data.
_____________ implies that warehouse data represent the flow of data through time, instead of focusing on current transactions.
_____________ implies that once data enter the data warehouse, they are never removed.
What are the 12 rules that define a data warehouse? the data warehouse...
- and operation environments are seperated
- data are integrated
- contains historical data over a long time
- are snapshot data captured at a given point in time
- are subject oriented
- mainly read-only with periodic batch updates form operational data. No online updates are allowed
- developemnt life cycle differs from classical system development. The data warehouse development is data-driven; the classical approach is process-driven
- contains data with several levels of detail: current detail data, old detail data, lightly sumarized data, and highly summarized data
- environment is characterized by read-only taransactions to very large data sets.the operational environment is characterized by numerous update transactions in a vew data entities at a time.
- environment has a system that traces data sources, transformations, and strorage.
- 's metadata are a critical component of this environment. The metadata identify and define all data elements. The metadata provide the source, transformation, integration, storage, usage, relationships, and history of each data element.
- contains a chargeback mechanism for resource usage that enforces optimal use of data by end users.
A ___________ is a small, subject-oriented data warehouse subset that provides support to a small group of people.
What is an operational data?
data that represent the day-to-day operations or transactions.
what is decision support data?
give tactical and strategic business meaning to the operational data.
____________ cover a short lifetime. ____________ covers a longer lifetime.
- Operational data
- Decision support data
Operational data must be presented at different levels of aggregation, from _____________ to __________.
- highly summarized
What are the components of the Business intelligence architecture?
- ETL tools
- Data store
- Data query and analysis tools
- Data presentation and visualization tool
What is ETL tools?(components of the BI)
Data Extration, Transformation, and Loadint(ETL) tools collect, filter, integrate, and aggregate operational data to be saved into a data store optimized for decision support.
What is Data store?(components of the BI)
Storage optimized for decision support and is generally represented by a data warehouse or a data mart.
What is Data query and analyzis tools?(components of the BI)
This component performs data retrival, data analysis, and data-mining task using the data in the store.
What is Data presentation and visualization tools?(components of the BI)
This component is in charge of presenting the data to the end user in a variety of ways.
What is the scope of a BI system?
BI covers a range of technologies and applications to manage the entire data life cycle from acquisition to storage, transformation, integration, analysis, monitoring, presentation, and archiving.
What part of BI systems is pivotal to operations?
What is OLAP?
Online Analytical processing(OLAP), create and advanced analysis environment that supports decision making, business modeling, and operations research.
What are the characteristics of OLAP?
- They use multidimensional data anlysis techniques
- they provide advanced database support
- they provide easy-to-use end-user interfaces
- they support the client/server architecture
what is star schema?
Is a data modeling technique used to map multidimensional decision support into a relational database.