The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the steps to distinguish syllables?
- 1. Find the nuclei (vowel)
- 2. Group the onsets (consonants with max. of 3 letters like "SPLash")
- 3. The rest are codas (consonants at the end of the syllable)
What is a minimal pair?
- Two words distinguished by one sound.
- Example: cab/cat, lyre/fire/dire
What are the characteristics of phonemes in Phonemes and Allophones?
- 1. distinguish words
- 2. are in contrastive distribution
What are the characteristics of allophones in Phonemes and Allophones?
- 1. do not distinguish words
- 2. complementary distribution
- The same phoneme with a variety of sounds.
- Example: /n/ --> [n] and [m]
What is free variation?
- One word pronounced in multiple ways. (Also an example of allophones.)
- Example: tomato, data
How are words transcribed phonemically?
pat --> /paet/
How are words transcribed phonetically?
pat --> [phaet]