Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the stages in language acquisition?
- Stage 1: Babbling
- Example: Mama, Dada
- Stage 2: One-Word Stage
- Example: Dada = This is daddy's. Daddy is coming. Where is daddy?
- Stage 3: Two-Word Stage
- Example: Daddy come; More juice; No bed
- *Where syntax beings.
What is overgeneralization?
- When a word is pluralized twice or made into a past tense twice.
- Example: eated, doed, falled, catched; foots, mans, childs
What is critical period?
- A specific time frame where normal acquisition of language is possible. (~14yrs)
- Example: Chelsea was not exposed to speech until 31. Vocabulary consists of only 2000 words.
How do linguists determine which languages are related? (Genetic Classification)
- 1. Basic vocabulary
- 2. Similarity in sound
- 3. Grammatical structure
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview