The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the changes of Grimm's Law?
- bh > b; dh > d; gh > g
- b > p; d > t; g > k
- p > f; t > th; k > h
How do you determine whether a word is native or borrowed?
- Native words: contain the change from Grimm's Law
- Example: treyes --> three, third
- Borrowed words: no change.
- Example: treyes --> tripod, tree
What is metonymy?
- Part/whole relationship.
- Example: "wheels" is a part of "car"
- A shift in meaning through connection without resemblance.
- Example: red coat --> a soldier wearing a red coat
What is widening?
- When a word has a broader definition than it used to.
- Example: Dog used to be "breed of a dog" but now it refers to any dog.
*Also known as generalization, extension, broadening
What is another word for elevation?