Biblical Literature Midterm
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
6 eras of the OT?
- the beginning
- the patriarchal era
- mosaic era
- era of the judges
- era of the Kings
- post-exilic era
Covenants of the Bible
What are the two views of interpretting the bible?
- traditional/conservative view
- modern/liberal view
Wellhausen's DOcumentary Hypothesis
Timeline of the Canon
- 1,000 years for the OT
- 400 year gap
- 50 years for the NT
- 1,500 years in all
What are the two extra-canonical books?
What was the greek translating of the OT?
What was the significance of the dead sea scrolls?
- only had manuscripts back to AD 900
- they dated back to 300-200 BC
- closed the 1300 year gap
What are the various creation theories
- Gap theory
- theistic evolution
- progressive creationism
- yound earther creationism
What relationships were broken during the fall?
- with others
- with creation
- with God
- with ourselves
How does God respond to sin?
judgement and salvation
A faith that believes the impossible?
A faith that clings to God?
A faith that walks with God
What are the two lessons from the patriachs?
- faith shows itself through obedience
- God's faithful in his covenant promise
how much of a gap between Genesis and Exodus?
Likely the pharaoh who didn't know about Joseph?
decreed that all Israelite male children be put to death
continues to carry out hostile policy
Pharaoh's daughter who adopted Moses
reigned for 54 years while Moses was in exile
Pharaoh through the 10 plagues
younger son who didn't expect to be Pharaoh?
What are the 3 signs Moses gave to God?
- staff turns to snake
- Moses' hand turns to leprosy
- Nile will turn to blood
Significance of the passover?
- first month of Jewish religious year (Nisan)
- constant reminder that their life came from death
- The Lord's Supper: fulfillment of the true meaning
Date of the Exodus
When did Solomon build the temple?
Functions of the Mosaic law
- socio-economic system
- judicial political system
- religious system
What are the 3 main offerings?
- burnt offering- lamb (daily)
- cereal offering- grain
- drink offering
- guilt offering- retribution
- sin offering- Yom Kippur
- The Sabbath
- the Passover
- Tabernacle- Feist of Booths
- The Day of Atonement- Yom Kippur
What was Deuteronomy similar to?
Hittie Suzerian-vassal treaty
total annihilation/ irrevocably consecrated
Already/not yet principle in Joshua
- Already- God's faithful promise
- Not yet- the failure to possess
Roles of the Judges
- Deliverers from the enemy
- tribal rulers
- ultimate judge is Yahweh
Patriarchal links in Ruth?
Boaz was connected to Perez who Tamar bore to Judah
Themes of Ruth
- goodness can exist no matter how bad things are
what are the main purposes of the Mosaic covenant?
- reveal God's character
- organize Israel into a functioning nation
- reveal sin
- foreshadow the coming of Christ
- lead people to Christ
Core of the Mosaic covenant
- blessings for obedience
- curses for disobedience
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview