The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How do you draw an electron dot diagram?
- 1. Write symbol for element
- 2. Find out how many valence electrons that has
- 3. Draw appropriate number of dots around the symbol
How do you name an ionic compound?
- - Name the Metal first, retaining its name
- - Name Non Metal second, changing the end to "ide"
How is an ion formed?
An ion is formed when an atom gains or loses an electron
List the number of valence electrons for each group except for transition metals:
- Gr 1: 1ve
- Gr 2: 2ve
- Gr 13: 3ve
- Gr 14: 4ve
- Gr 15: 5ve
- Gr 16: 6ve
- Gr 17: 7ve
- Gr 18: 8ve
What are valence electrons?
The outermost electrons in an electron shell
What combines in an ionic compound?
metals and nonmetals
What is a chemical formula?
a chemical formula shows the number of atoms each element in a bond
When an atom gains an electron, what charge will it have?
when an atom gains an electron, it will have a negative charge
When an atom loses an electron, what charge will it have?
When an atom loses an electron, it will have a positive charge