Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What does oppression mean?
Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control, or the state of being subject to such treatment or control.
What is exploitation?
Appropriating unpaid labor (surplus value) that the worker created in the process of production or mining.
Describe the characteristics of underdevelopment, using Latin America as your model, to tell the causes, consequences, benefited classes, how did they benefit, which were effected in a negative way, and how?
- Military conquest.
- Settlement and colonization/expropriation of resources by force.
- Enslave/use locals as wage labor.
- Wages earned are then sent back to colonial power (ex. Britain).
- Any wages left over, the creole class spends on personal processions or symbols of wealth (ex. homes, jewelry).
- The struggle for independence begins amongst locals form 1809-1824.
- Britain takes control after 1824 in Latin America as an informal empire, their capital dominates society.Slavery ends.
- Capitalist agriculture begins AKA the "1 crop shop".
- Political independence is gained and changes, the locals start managing the British capital.
- Underdevelopment happens because locals have no control over production, the 1 crop economy is the result of agriculture, banking, and manufacturing don't develop in the local economy, untimely resulting in poverty.
What are the consquences of new imperialism?
- Territorial division is complete, by leading capitalist states.
- The conquest of Africa was on the rise.
- Militarism is on the rise, leading to WW 1&2.
- Beginning of national liberation struggles in the under-developed countries.
- Continuing struggle of the leading capitalist states for hegemony in the world.
What are the basic features or characteristics associated with the nw imperialism of the late 19th century?
- Capital has reached the monopolization of society.
- Merging banking and industrial capital.
- Companies form conglomerates in industries that they use to reuduce the cost of business.
- Rise of multi-industry corporations.
- Economic exploitation of foreign peoples using military force.
What is a hegemony?
Leadership or dominance, esp. by one country or social group.
What is the Marxian definition of a state, as described by Lenin?
A special organzation of force or violence organized by the ruling class for the suppression of other classes.
14 events in chronological order
- 1400-1500 rise of capitalist economy in England
- 1689 Sencond Treaties of Government published.
- 1775-1824 Bourgeois Revolution in France
- 1787 Federalist Paper #10 published
- 1789 French Revolution
- 1770-1800 1st industrial revolution
- 1815-1875 Industrial capitalist states fought wars against colonized peoples around the world.
- 1815-1917 Liberalism, socialism, and nationalism throughout Europe; rise of Trade Union movements.
- 1848 Publication of the Communist Manifesto
- 1860-2010 2nd Industrial revolution
- 1914 WW1
- 1917 Bolshevik Revolution
- 1917 State of Revolution published
- 1939-45 WW2
What are the main imparitives of capitalism?
- Profit maximization
- Constanly revolutionizing the forces of production
What doe unilateral mean?
Performed by affecting only one person, group, or country involved in a particular situation w/out the agreement of another or the others.