Name and discuss the three pairs of small, bilateral saliva secreting Salivary Glands
Secretions (about 1 L/day) from the Parotid, Submandibular, and Sublingual glands constitute saliva.
Saliva is primarily (99.5%) water, which helps dissolve foods. The other 0.5% contains mucous, eectrolytes, and antibacterial and antiviral compounds.
Parotid Glands: secrete water, electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride), and enzymes.
Submandibular and Sublingual glands: secrete water, electrolytes, enzymes, and mucus.
These glands are affected by the actions of the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.