Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
success, most Asian-Americans are taught to:
c. Be humble
You can tell who is
gay or lesbian by:
- d. None of the above
- (a. Their mannerisms; b. Whom they associate with; c. The kinds of personal
- stories they share; d. None of the above)
In group sessions,
some Japanese find it hard to share their feelings and ideas because:
- c. They feel it’s
- wrong to tell personal experiences in public
As the year 2000,
which one of the following ethnic minority groups is the largest in the U.S.?
Asian-American cultures, a sign of respect to another person is indicated by:
- b. Looking down and
- avoiding eye contact
with others, people from traditional Italian and Latino backgrounds tend to stand:
- b. Closer from the
- other person than people from North American cultures
The “glass ceiling”
theory in organizational life refers to
- b. The frustrating
- limits that women and minorities experience in promotions, especially at
- mid-to-senior levels of management
One of the most
common complaints of employees with physical disabilities is:
- b. They are treated
- as though they are invisible
When a woman is in
control of a communication dynamic with a male, she will tend to stand:
- b. Farther from the
- man than he will stand from her
Currently, the new
entrants into the workforce are comprised of:
- b. 75% minorities,
- women and immigrants
Many managers “walk
on eggs” around female and minority workers. As a result they fail to
supervise fully and fail to give effective performance feedback. This results
d. All of the above
The concept of America as “melting pot” is:
- c. An outmoded
- sociological description that has caused many diverse groups to either lose
- their identity or remain outside the U.S. mainstream
from diverse Asian-American backgrounds have consistently
- c. They have been
- assumed to be good at technical tasks but weak in people management
programs are designed to:
- b. Open access to
- potential employees who had previously been excluded from equal
- competition for jobs within particular organizations
In a number of major
cities, incidents of violence based upon overt prejudice against members of a
group was found to be highest against:
c. Gays and Lesbians
When referring to our
own or someone else’s culture, (taste in food, dress, music; beliefs,
traditions, customs, language, interactional etiquette) which of the following
statements is NOT true?
According to our
"Diversity Layers", which dimension does NOT apply to each of us?
- d. None of the above
- (a. Organizational; b. External; c. Personal; d. None of the above)
Our personal perceptions
have a major impact on whether and or how we interact with others.
What percentage of
interpersonal communications is non-verbal?
What is requirement
to be eligible for FMLA?
- must have worked 1250
- HRS worked within 12 months.
Is it acceptable to
make an allowance and give an entry level test to someone with dyslexia?
If your city or
county government receives Federal assistance you agency must comply with what?
- Uniform Guidelines on
- Employee Selection Procedures
Under the provisions of the Americans with
Disabilities Act, a person is considered to be disabled if he or she has
A restriction on major life activities
Under the provisions
of the ADA, a major life activity includes what?
- breathing, seeing,
- hearing, caring for self, walking
Individuals who may
not be required to be paid overtime include:
- Executives (Chief or
- Sheriff), Administrators (People that make recommendations to the executive on
- hiring and firing), & Professionals (Teacher, Lawyer, Pilot)
Spouse of an employee
killed in the line of duty would be eligible for health insurance coverage
under which Federal Law?
- Consolidated Omnibus
- Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
applicant or entry level police officer to be at least 5’10’’ tall would be an
example of a:
Garcia vs. San
Antonio Metropolitan Transit Authority is a Supreme Court case which what?
- mandated coverage of
- protected employees on hours worked over 40
and Employment Act prohibits discrimination against an employee who is at least
40 years of age
The procedure for
identifying and determining in detail the task and sequences of tasks necessary
to perform a job is a?
Job Task Analysis
The purpose of a Job
task analysis includes which of the following?
- Selection Procedures,
- Determining Training Needs, Compensation, Performance Reviews,
When conducting a job
task analysis which of the following aspects of the job are analyzed?
- Job duties and tasks,
- Environment, tools and equipment, human behaviors, human requirements
ADA stands for?
- Americans with
- Disabilities Act
employment provision of the ADA
- Under the employment
- provision of the ADA, it is unlawful for an employer to discriminate
- against a qualified individual with a disability.
ADA applies to whom?
- Applicants and
- current employees
Describe a qualified
individual as it applies to the ADA
- A qualifed individual
- with a disability means an individual with a disability who, with or without
- reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the employment
As used in the Civil
Rights Act of 1964, describe Disparate Treatment
- Disparate Treatment
- occurs when an individual suffers direct and deliberate discrimination.
- (Ex. A minority job applicant being denied employment because a supervisor
- "can't work with blacks"
As used in the Civil
Rights Act of 1964, describe Disparate Impact
- Disparate Impact
- occurs when a discrimination occurs because of a personnel policy or procedure
- (Ex. All applicants for a police office must be5'10" tall)
What is ADEA?
- Age Descrimination in
- Employment Act
Whom does the ADEA
- Individuals at least
- 40 years old
Exceptions to ADEA
- Age is a BFOQ (bona
- fide occupational qualification) reasonably necessary to the normal operation
- of the particular business, Bona fide seniority system that is not intended to
- evade the ADEA, & Certain bona fide executive or high policymaking
- employees (under certain conditions)
FMLA stnds for?
- Family & Medical
- Leave Act
- 12 months for the employer AND 1,250 hours
- during the 12 months immediately preceding the date
When do the Uniform
Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedure apply to your agency?
- If your government
- receives federal funds, that government must comply with the guidelines
Describe Garrity v. New Jersey
- The U.S. Supreme
- Court ruled inGarrity v. New Jerseythat a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment
- occurs when the government uses a police officer’s statement in a criminal
- trial against that officer when the statement resulted from his being told that
- he might lose his job if he failed to answer the questions.
Describe Ricci v.
- White & Hispanic
- firefighters sued New Haven Connecticut for racial descrimination based on disparate
- impact when the city invalidated a promotional test because no black
- firefighters scored high enough to be promoted
List the basic
functions of Human Resource Administration
- Job Task Analysis,
- Salary & Benefit Administration, Performance Appraisal, Recruitment, Job
- Interviewing, Promotion, Ethics, Supervision, and Management
What is an example of
an achievmen test that will predict performance in reading, reading
comprehension, spelling, grammar, conceptual math, and applied math?
- Test of Adult Basic
- Education (TABE)
Why is the
achievement test discussed used?
- It is cost effective
- & it is a reliable indicator of success potential in the basic law
- enforcement training process
A recruitment brochure should contain what?
- Wage/salary information
- –Minimum qualifications
- –Steps of the selection process
- –How an application blank can be obtained
An application for employment should contain the following on a mandatory basis?
Lots of slides on this one, not sure what exactly he wants.
Aspects of a structured interview contain what?
- Setting, Job specifications should be reviewed, Documentation, Standardized, Scoring, Train the Interviewers,
- Job Related Questions, Interview Committee
The kind of test which is the best predictor to do a job is what
US supreme court ruling in reference to the violation of a police officer’s rights.
Garrity vs. New Jersey
List of human resource administration functions. (will need to identify the one which doesn’t fit)
- •Job Task Analysis
- •Salary and Benefit Administration
- •Performance appraisal
- •Job Interviewing
of a field sergeant based on what?
Job Task Analysis
of a properly established salary and benefit program include?
- How do we get there?
- –Conduct salary survey
- –Conduct job task analysis
- –Establish benchmark positions
- –Group jobs requiring similar tasks and responsibilities into Pay Grades
- –Assign each Pay Grade a monetary value
Ethical Decision Making
- •An ethical person often chooses to do more than the law requires and less than the
- law allows
- •The ethical person is concerned with what is right to do, not with what they have a right do