EC book notes: Chapter 7
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What nationality in ancient times treated people with EBD well?
What period in time was known for it's poor treatment of people with EBD?
the Middle Ages
What was the first institution to help people with mental disorders?
St. Mary of Bethlehem
What did St. Mary of Bethlehem become known as?
What does Bedlam mean?
Who was teh French psychiatrist that called for reform for the treatment of people with EBD?
Who was the father of American psychiatry?
Who developed a definition for people with behavioral disorders that is used till this day?
WHo introduced project Re-Ed?
Who developed the Teaching-Family Model?
In what 3 areas do people with EBD struggle?
What shows the significant problems for people with EBD in the future?
- they experience the least success
- they have the highest dropout rate of any disability
- they expierence high unemployment
What does EBD stand for?
Emotional and behavioral disorders
What three categories can EBD be divided into?
- externalizing behaviors
- internalizing behaviors
- low-incidence disorders
What are some examples of externalizing behaviors?
What are examples of internalizing behaviors?
What is one example of a low-incidence disorder?
What are some characteristics of schizophrenia?
- bizarre delusions
- loosening of associations
What two behavior disorders don't qualify for special education?
- socially maladjusted
- conduct disorders
What is the prevalence of people with EBD in special education? what should it be?
- should be more like 3-6%
What are the two possible reasons for why there is a discrepancy between how many people with EBD are in special education and how many probably have EBD?
- the definition remains vague and subjective
- the label is stigmatizing so many people don't want to declare it
What two categories of people rate strongly for EBD?
What are some school-based interventions?
- positive behavior support
- functional behavior assessment
What are 7 instructional tecniques that have proven to work with students with EBD?
- behavior management
- systemativ intervention plans
- home-school communication
- peer involvement
- classroom structure
- supervised free periods
- consistent standards
3 examples of screening tools for people with EBD?
- systematic screening of behavior disorders
- student risk screening scale
- strengths and difficulties questionnaire
What are 2 reasons for early intervention for people with EBD?
- problem behaviors tend to be very stable and increase over time
- early intervention can address problems early on before they are rooted
What are the four components of programs for early intervention for EBD?
- parent involvement
- teaching behavior and its consequences
- teaches appropriate behavior in different settings
- shows how to make and keep friendships
what are the signals of risk for people with EBD?
- overt and covert anitsocial activities
- problems across settings
- child is both overactive and inattentive
- extreme aggression is frequent- best indicator
what is the major goal of teaching students with EBD?
a balanced education between behavioral, social, and academic help
What are examples for general education programs for people with EBD?
- peer tutoring
- story mapping
- repeated reading
What are 3 reasons that transition can be hard for people with EBD?
- unemployment and underemployment are high
- high rates of divorce
- frequently accessing mental health services
What do they look at to assess why the behavior occurs with Data-based practices?
- the antecedent bahavior
- the consequences
What are the typical reasons for why a behavior occurs with someone with EBD?
- seeking or avoiding attention
- avoiding activities or tasks
- tangible or sensory conditions
What are the steps of intervention with some with EBD through data-based practices?
- teach a new replacement behavior
- adjust the antecendent bahavior
- increase the rate of reinforcement
- remoce reinforcement for target behavior
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview