The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
In general what are the 8 pressures on the coastline of Florida?
- Landbased tourism
Expand on Population pressure
- Since the 1940’s the population of Florida has risen from 2 million to 16 million in 2010.
- Since 1990 the population growth rates in many coastal countries have risen at a rate of 20%.
- Every day 1,000 old people move in.
Expand on Construction
- All of these new people need homes to live.
- Wetlands – an in depth analysis of satellite imagery by the St. Petersburg Times shows Florida has lost 84,000 acres of wetland to development since 1990.
Expand on Housing
- Sewage: Florida has over 1,000 waters considered too polluted for drinking, fishing and swimming.
- In 2004 Florida had 3,345 beach warnings or advisoriesbecause of unsafe levels of bacteria in the water.
- This is due to the 3million to 4 million onsite sewage disposal systems in Florida.
Expand on Erosion
- Of Florida’s 825miles of sandy beaches, 38% are in a state of critical erosion and
- more than half are eroding factors due to factors such as beachfront building and navigational inlets
Expand on Tourism
- Cruiseships- Florida is one of the most popular places for cruise
- ships in the world. BUT in one week a cruise ship on average will make 210,000 gallons of black sewage. Much
- of this sewage goes back to the beaches
Expand on Industry
- 25% increase in the shrimp demands so Mangroves have suffered the repercussions of the deforestation of
- the for the purpose of artificial ponds. 50%
- of mangroves have been removed for shrimp farms
Expand on Land based toursim
6million people camp in Florida