The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Metabolism- The sum of all chemical reactions that occurs in the body.
- Catabolic reactions- the break down of the chemicals.
- Anabolic reactions- the build up of the chemicals.
Absorption- food is absorbed by diffusion or active transport.
the build up of new tissues from digested food materials.
the consumption of oxygen by the body. Cells use oxygen to convert glucose into ATP. source of energy for cellular activities.
"ox glu it's atp"
removal of waste products.
all livings things are made from...
CHON and sulfur and phosphorus.
- protoplasm- substance of life.
- inorganic- any compounds without carbon.
- organic- with carbon.
: hydrogen 2
: oxygen 1
- they are used as storage forms of energy.
- think of bread: one, it is carbo, two, it can soak anything.
store energy in animals. starch
stores energy in plants.
- MONOSACCHARIDE- is a single sugar subunits.
- examples: Glucose and fructose
- DISACCHARIDE- made up of two monosaccharide ssubunits joined by dehydration synthesis.
- example: maltose and sucrose
- dehydration synthesis- loss of water molecule.
- POLYSACCHARIDE- polymers or chains of repeating monsaccharide subunits.
- examples: glycogen and starch.
- cellulose serves a structural role in plants.
- those examples are insoluble. done by dehydration
- hydrolysis- adding water.
fats and oils.
lipid consists of 3 fatty acid molecules bonded to a single glyerol backbone. fatty acids have long carbon chains gives them their hydrophoic character and carboxylic acid groups that makes them acidic. three dehydration reactions are need to make one fat molecule.
- composed primarily of the elements.
- polymers of amino acids.
- amino acids are joined by peptide bonds.
- makes a polypeptide.
classified on the basis of structure:
Simple proteins- entirely of amino acids.
albumins and globulins- primarily globular in nature. functional proteins that act as carriers or enzymes.