Nursing diagnoses, related factors, key concepts and interventions for Overhydration
- Assessment: usually have pitting edema. Other manifistations usually seen in cardiovascular, respiratory neuromuscular, integumentary and gastrointestinal system.
- Key features chart 13-5 pg 182. (increased pulse rate and bouding quality, elevated blood pressure, )
- Nursing diagnoses:
- Excess Fluid Volume related to compromised regulatory mechanisms (inability of the kidneys to maintain body fluid balance)
- _Deficient Knowledge (fluid restrictions, drug therapy, and manifestations of fluid excess) related to lack of exposure or lack of interest in learning
- _Potential for Electrolyte Imbalances
- _Potential for Hypertension
- _Potential for Pulmonary Edema
Priority nursing interventions for patients with fluid overload aim to ensure patient safety
, restore normal fluid balance
, provide supportive care
until the imbalance is resolved, and prevent future fluid overload
. Drug therapy, nutrition therapy, and monitoring
are the basis of intervention.