The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The gingham dog and the calico cat
- Side by side on the table sat;
- 'Twas half-past twelve, and (what do you think!)
- Nor one nor the other had slept a wink!
The old Dutch clock and the Chinese plate
- Appeared to know as sure as fate
- There was going to be a terrible spat.
- (I wasn't there; I simply state
- What was told me by the Chinese plate!)
The gingham dog went " bow-wow-wow
- And the calico cat replied "mee-ow!"
- The air was littered, an hour or so,
- With bits of gingham and calico,
- While the old Dutch clock in place
- Up with its hands before its face,
- For it always dreaded a family row!
- (Now mind: I'm only telling you
- What the old Dutch clock declares is true)
The Chinese plate looked very blue,
- And wailed, "Oh, dear! what shall we do?"
- But the gingham dog and the calico cat
- Wallowed this way and tumbled that,
- Employing every tooth and claw
- In the awfullest way you ever saw
- And, oh! how the gingham and calico flew!
- (Don't fancy I exaggerate!
- I got my news from the Chinese plate!)
Next morning, where the two had sat,
- They found no trace of dog or cat;
- And some folks think unto this day
- That burglars stole that pair away!
- But the truth about the cat and pup
- Is this: they ate each other up!
- Now what do you really think of that!
- (The old Dutch clock it told me so,
- And that is how I came to know.)