Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Hemostasis - 3 mechanisms to prevent or control blood loss
- 1. Vascular spasms: Vasoconstriction recues the size of the tear and reduces blood flow, and thus loss.
- 2. Platelet plugs: Plugs up the hole, but is unstable, so you need...
- 3. Fibrin blood clots: Secures the clot
Extrinsic versus Intrinsic pathways
- Extrinsic: damage to vessels
- Intrinsic: damage to blood from turbulence
Clot formation with Thrombin & Fibrinogen
Plasmin dismantles a clot with Plasminogen & Plasmin
Chemical which activates a clotting protein, such as Prothrombin
Asprin in relation to clotting
Alter the platelets ability to stick together and form platelet plugs.
Heparin in relation to clotting
Affect clotting cascade preventing clot formation (heparin inactivates thrombin)
Warfarin in relation to clotting
Blocks vitamin K activity
Vitamin K in relation to clotting
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview